Thank you for visiting Laser & Photonics Research team at Bangor University, North Wales, UK. The team is led by Dr. Zengbo (James) Wang, focusing on the development of next-generation photonics and laser technologies for wide ranges of applications in advanced manufacturing, super-resolution imaging, sensing, solar cell devices, among others.
One key scientific achievement by us is the pioneering of ‘microsphere nanoscope’ and super-resolution techniques and applications based on dielectric particle superlenses made from microsphere , spider silk , high-index nanoparticle and others. These were widely publicised. Check our featured interview (“Improbable vision“) and review chapter (“Super-resolution imaging and microscopy by dielectric particle-lenses“) we wrote about the technique. Despite commercial models are now available, their performance are still quite limited and suffer from limitations including low-contrast, slow-speed , sample-dependent imaging quality and extreme-short working distance which all need to be addressed carefully with innovative solutions – we are leading many of important innovations in solving these challenges (roadmap).
Our team also actively works in nanophotonics and metamaterials (e.g ‘anti-laser’ filter), laser material processing (e.g artificial surface, nano-marking) and solar energy, with wide applications in industry.
- 2022-05: Tender for high power high repetition femtosecond laser (deadline: May 27 12:00, link)
- 2022-02: Funding for a new high-power high-repetition rate ultrafast laser system approved.
- 2022-02: Front cover paper “Photonic lenses with whispering gallery waves at Janus particles (invited)“ in Opto-Electron. Sci.
- 2022-01: New paper ‘Localized photonic nanojet based sensing platform” on superlens with autofocus and micro sampling capability.
- 2021-12: Case study for Laser marking of medical instrument which pass harsh steam sterilisation tests.
- 2021-09: Guest editor of Special Issue “Photonic Jet: Science and Application” Photonics journal.
- 2021-08: CPE project summer newsletter and promotion video is out – (newsletter) (video).