Thank you for visiting PLMT (Photonics and Laser Manufacturing Team) at Bangor University, North Wales, UK. The team is led by Dr. Zengbo (James) Wang, focusing on the development of next-generation photonics and laser technologies for wide ranges of applications in advanced manufacturing, super-resolution imaging, sensing, solar cell devices, among others.
One key scientific achievement by us is the pioneering of ‘microsphere nanoscope’ and super-resolution techniques and applications based on dielectric particle superlenses made from microsphere , spider silk , high-index nanoparticle and others. These were widely publicised. Check our featured interview (“Improbable vision“) and review chapter (“Super-resolution imaging and microscopy by dielectric particle-lenses“) we wrote about the technique.
Despite commercial models are now available, their performance are still quite limited and suffer from limitations including low-contrast, slow-speed , sample-dependent imaging quality and extreme-short working distance which all need to be addressed carefully with innovative solutions – we are leading many of important innovations in solving these challenges (roadmap).
Our team also actively works in nanophotonics and metamaterials (e.g ‘anti-laser’ filter), laser material processing (e.g artificial surface, nano-marking) and solar energy, with wide applications in industry.
- 2023-03: New publication on nanoparticle-assembled solid immersion lens in Small
- 2023-02: New high-power femtosecond fibre laser installed in PLMT’s laser lab.
- 2023-01: AI video generated by AIGC! (link).
- 2022-11: Started research leave and academic visiting at Northeastern University, Boston, USA, to work on Leverhulme Trust fellowship project.
- 2022-09: New book on “Photonic jet: science and application” published (link)
- 2022-05: Tender for high power high repetition femtosecond laser (link)
- 2022-02: New funding approved for high-power high-repetition rate ultrafast laser system.
- 2022-02: Front cover paper “Photonic lenses with whispering gallery waves at Janus particles (invited)“ in Opto-Electron. Sci.
- 2022-01: New publication on ‘Localized photonic nanojet based sensing platform” on superlens with autofocus and micro sampling capability.
- 2021-12: Case study for Laser marking of medical instrument which pass harsh steam sterilisation tests.
- 2021-09: Guest editor of Special Issue “Photonic Jet: Science and Application” in Photonics journal.
- 2021-08: CPE project summer newsletter and promotion video is out – (newsletter) (video).